Monday, January 18, 2010

What have we seen?

We had Micah's Aunt Hollie come in last Friday and stay with us until this morning when she left early.  It is always nice having family in town.  I always get out of my normal routine when family is around, so I haven't written anything for a short little while.  I was watching 60 minutes last night after the game and was sickened by the things that I saw within the first part of the show- when they were reporting on what was going on in Haiti.  As I have spent times in thought about the different things being shown on the television, I think it gives a good picture description of what some scripture says in Revelation:

"And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, "Come, gather together for the great supper of God, so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and mighty men, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, small and great."  Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army.  But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf.  With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image.  The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulpher.  The rest of them were killed with the sword that came out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh."  Revelation 19:17-21

Some of the things we have seen this week have been pretty unbelievable... and disturbing...but it is there in front of our eyes.  We have seen on television a dump truck moving dead bodies to be burned in a pit.  We have seen dead people lined across the street (and the camera's aren't blurring it out of our view), we have seen blood draining down a street from who knows how many different people.  I saw a father holding his limp child- it made me automatically think of my children and what that would be like to have that happen in that short time...all the shock I would be in.  Some of the things we read about in the bible seem to be pretty unbelievable when you really set there and think about them.  If you look at some of the plagues that are written about in the book of Revelation, you will see some things that are hard to believe.  Another thought that came to my mind just today when watching some of this footage is how fast things can get real bad.  I believe we are living in a time when the rapture of the Christians and the return of Jesus could happen at any moment.  If you think about the rapture of all the Christians of this world leaving all at once to meet with Jesus in the sky.  What kind of chaos could that cause world wide?  And at that...in less than a second!  I have had an incredibly hard time focusing on my work throughout the day.  I find my mind drifting off to the people of Haiti and how much dispair and hopelessness they are in at the moment...I find myself thinking about the return of Jesus and how serious this time we are in- right now- is.  The thought that keeps coming back to my mind when I hear about the death toll rising from his event is this:  How many of them knew Jesus before they died?  How many were living right?  My passion for the lost has grown so incredibly heavy lately, and I don't know what to do about it but keep on talking about my Faith wherever I am and praying and writing about it.  The feeling I have inside of me for the people who don't know Jesus personally is like a parent seeing their child in the middle of the street with a car racing towards them.  Something has to be done about it...they don't even know they are in danger until it is too late.  My prayer on those left behind in Haiti is for comfort and peace that passes all understanding.  I have no idea what it feels like to be them, but I know that they need healing in many ways.  My prayer also is for those who don't know Jesus on a personal level...I pray that they will turn to Him in this dark hour as our family turned to Him for help in our dark hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment